Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      raimund@baumann-online.net
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/40122: Device pcm stopps booting Kernel 4.6

The following reply was made to PR kern/40122; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: raimund@baumann-online.net
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, raimund@baumann-online.net
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 19:12:15 +0200 (CEST)

 >After booting an original GENERIC Kernel, the command "kldload /modules/snd.ko"
 >shows the following output:
 >pcm0: <Yamaha DS-1E (YMF740C)>
 >       mem 0xe1800000-0xe1807fff
 >       irq5 at device 6.0 on pci0
 >
 >And then the System is freezing completely.

 After a weekend testing kernel configurations, I have found the cause
 of the reproduceable total kernel-freeze on my system. It's the
 combination of
 device          pcm

 and

 # USB support
 device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
 device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
 device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
 device          ugen            # Generic
 device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"

 Without these USB entrys (I havn't tested each single entry, it's a
 workaround for me to comment all out, because I dont use USB) Sound
 works. With these USB entrys, theres a total System freeze at boot-time,
 resp. by loading snd module.