Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:11:00 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade from V4 to V5 broken

I would have preferred to do a bit more analysis of this before
posting, but the release is getting so close that I felt I'd better
say something now!

I am attempting to upgrade a 4.7-Stable system last updated on Jan. 4
to 5.0 (using tag=RELENG_5_0). Before the cvsup, I deleted /usr/obj
and /usr/src just to be sure some old file was not triggering the
problem.

The problem appears to be a header file conflict between the new
headers and the existing ones when building gperf. Fortunately, this
error seems to occur only about 20 seconds into the buildworld on my
old 450 MHZ K6-3 system.

===> gnu/usr.bin/gperf/doc
c++  -O -pipe    -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/lib -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf -c /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/bool-array.cc
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:44,
                 from /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/bool-array.h:57,
                 from /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gperf/../../../contrib/gperf/src/bool-array.cc:21:
/usr/include/sys/_types.h:77: declaration does not declare anything
*** Error code 1

This problem did not occur on Jan. 5 when I previously did a
successful buildworld from 4.7. I saw it for the first time on Jan. 9.

I am also submitting a PR on this, but I think it is critical that V4
systems can be upgraded to V5.0 when it releases. (Assuming I am right
on what is happening to my build.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)