Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 14:17:52 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, clarson@eldocomp.com
Subject:   Re: pathname length over NFS

On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 11:02:39PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Chad R. Larson <chad@.eldocomp.com> wrote:
>  > The system message for error number 71 is:
>  >     Too many levels of remote in path
>  >
>  > install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libcom_err_p.a /usr/lib
>  > *** Error code 71

> The install tool doesn't use errno numbers for exit codes,
> but it uses sysexit values.  See the sysexits(3) manpage:

Thanks for that info.

> According to the source, install _should_ really print a
> more helpful error massage.  What exactly does it say when
> you type the command manually?
>
> If that doesn't help, I'd suggesst you run the install
> command that fails under control of ktrace or truss, so you
> see what exactly fails.

I'll give that a shot.

This box really does have enough disk to hold a copy of the source
tree and do it's own build, but it's going to be the first web
server in a proposed farm, and I don't really want to be propogating
source trees and build.  I want my BSD development box to do all
builds and generate all kernels.  So I'm motivated to make this
work.

> Regards
>    Oliver

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com