Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2008 22:11:17 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonic2000gr@gmail.com>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zszalbot@gmail.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Going back to generic kernel

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I have a test machine with a custom kernel, which I copied (as the
> handbook suggests) to /root/kernels/. However, I do not really need
> it.
>
> My question is how do I switch back to the generic kernel? Many thanks
> and all the best to you all!

If you don't have a copy of your previous GENERIC kernel, you can still
get one from the CD.
Here is an example, using a FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE CD:

# mount /cdrom
# cd /cdrom/7.0-RELEASE/kernels
# ./install.sh GENERIC

This will install it to /boot/GENERIC and you can copy it to
/boot/kernel if you wish. Or you can use nextboot(8) to boot it once and
see what happens.  Keep in mind that if you have updated your system
(e.g. freebsd-update), this kernel may not be in sync with the rest of
the system.