Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:00:52 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@zer0.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Google  (was: Re: GCC as a selling point for FreeBSD? (Not!))

Terry Lambert wrote:

> I meant ad placement, relevent to the search results, not for
> results placement.  For the record, I'm well aware of the fact
> that google does not skew search results for money, like some
> search engines, and that was not what I meant to imply.  Sorry
> if it came off like that.
>
> What I meant was, I tend to get less search results for a given
> set of search terms than I used to get, prior to the advertising
> on the right hand side of the results.  I attributed that to the
> relevency-based search for the paid advertising detracting from
> the amount of CPU available that would otherwise be burned giving
> me the same number of results I was getting previously; maybe
> this is wrong, but regardless of rank order, you would not think
> you could lose 4000 results for a particular search phrase in only
> 3 months.  Either they are indexing less content, or they have
> changed their inclusion (*not* rank order!) criteria significantly
> some time in the last several months.
>
> Some people search for themselves; I happen to have three terms
> sets that I tend to use to benchmark search engines, and just
> noticed the drop-off recently.
>
> For all I know, it just means they are now obeying the ".robots"
> file, and they weren't before... 8-) 8-).

Over the past few years, I've slowly been working on building a search
engine to my own personal liking.  As some of you may know, I'm also
writing the one for FreeBSD.org (coming soon).  I'd be interested to
hear everyone's complaints about current search engines and also if
anyone is interested in joining my quest for the ultimate information
search engine, shoot me an email..

Eric