Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 18:45:48 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel driver source installer?

> > Uh, why should you have to reboot?  The act of placing the driver object
> > in the directory should place it in your kernel...
>
> I'm assuming ISA isn't going to evaporate overnight.  Probing for ISA
> devices on a running system is akin to pissing on an electric fence.

I'm assuming someone will hire G. Gordon Liddy to shoot it in the head
one dark night (well, a person can dream).

ISA devices on non-PnP machines won't come online until after you
rebbot, I suppose.  For PnP machines, the resources will be allocated
by the BIOS, even if there isn't a driver to run them, and that can be
discovered with a more-PnP-than-ISA-probe().

If you want to abvoid rebooting, then don't buy ISA hardware.  If
you don't care, feel free to buy ISA hardware.

> > > But while I'm thinking and trying to work in that direction, it's
> > > nowhere near reality, and that's what I have to deal with at the moment,
> > > hence a script that reflects reality rather than some unrealised ideal.
> >
> > If you keep making these things easy without a real soloution,
> > where is the "squeaky wheel" incentive for a real soloution?  8-) 8-).
>
> I thought your position was self-evident?

Heh.  Depends on whether it's the users or the engineers who are in
charge, I suppose.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---