Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:05:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        res03db2@gte.net (The Clark Family)
Cc:        dannyman@tellme.com (Danny Howard), advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD to Sell Sun Hardware

> > Recently, I asked a Netscape employee if Directory Server might
> > be ported to FreeBSD any time soon.  He said it was less likely
> > because of the Sun alliance.  I followed up with an argument
> > that by not supporting FreeBSD, they were all the less likely to
> > sell Sun hardware in the end.  How does my argument sound?
> > Critiques?  Suggestions?
>
> Sun has stayed suprisingly far away from FreeBSD. Which is weird,
> considering their early SunOS days.
>
> Apple is doing things with BSD.
>
> Intel sells (some) BSD based stuff.
>
> CISCO has some BSD skeletons in their closet.
>
> MS uses BSD.
>
> Who does that leave? IBM? Compaq? HP?

IBM uses FreeBSD for the InterJet (IBM acquired Whistle), and for
some bids into school districts into Taiwan, running on Netfinity.

Compaq has provided significant support for FreeBSD/Alpha, and for
FreeBSD/SMP (Intel and Alpha).

HP provides much of the equipment for the University of Utah work,
which includes MACH, OSKit, and BSD.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---