Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 12:21:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: kern/6102 (biodone: buffer already done) QUOTA?

> Once in a while kernel panics with following messages:
>
> biodone: buffer already done
> biodone: buffer already done
> panic: biodone: buffer not busy

I had been experiencing these biodone panics under a similar configuration
while performing backups to a SCSI DAT drive.  Dima had built some
diagnostic kernels to address FIFO overruns in the Adaptec controllers at
Best.  Since my HBA is a DPT, I put together some diagnostic kernels as
well.

What I found was that removing 'options QUOTA' from my kernel config has
alleviated if not eliminated this problem.  I have run over 20 consecutive
backups with no failures.  Previously, 1 in every 3 would fail with a
system crash/silent reboot.  Since I wasn't actually using the quotas,
it's not a heartbreaker to lose them.

I know Dima is running with QUOTA on, but I'm now wondering if some of the
others experiencing kern/5117, kern/6102 and kern/7424 aren't running it
as well.

- Bruce

|| Bruce M. Walter         ||   426 South Dawson Street ||
|| Principal               ||   Raleigh, NC 27601 USA   ||
|| NIXdesign Group, Inc.   ||   Tel: 919.829.4908       ||
|| Concept + Code          ||   Fax: 919.829.4993       ||