Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 18:13:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Todd Meister <todd@lmi.net>
To:        jorgandar blackmoon <jorgandar@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Ethernet device

I suggest checking out the LINT file in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf.

A grep through LINT found:
# The `pn' device provides support for various fast ethernet adapters
# based on the Lite-On 82c168 and 82c169 PNIC chips, including the
# LinkSys LNE100TX, the NetGear FA310TX rev. D1 and the Matrox
# FastNIC 10/100.

# The 'ti' device provides support for PCI gigabit ethernet NICs based
# on the Alteon Networks Tigon 1 and Tigon 2 chipsets. This includes the
# Alteon AceNIC, the 3Com 3c985, the Netgear GA620 and various others.
# Note that you will probably want to bump up NMBCLUSTERS a lot to use
# this driver.

It would definitely help to know what chipset your card is.

-Todd

On 10-Sep-99 jorgandar blackmoon wrote:
> Ok i have a newbie question.  I have a NetGear ethernet card, and
> currently FreeBSD only seems to support 3Com (blahhhh...far overpriced
> for it's worth...) and others.  Since i'm going to be re-compiling my
> kernel i'd like to know what I can do as to choose the "most
> compatable" driver for my card.  Anyone have any ideas?
>
> ~Joe~

Todd Meister
LMI.net
vox: 510 843 6389