Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 18:56:13 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>, Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>, Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>, "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Lance Costanzo <lance@costanzo.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC RAM useless with FreeBSD?

> >To answer my own question, I finally dug something up that hints at what
> >NASA laptops have to go through:
> >
> >It looks like they have specially certified IBM Thinkpads, and the
> >process is very thorough.
>
> It is probably the military version of the Thinkpads, I've seen them,
> they are quite a bit more heavy than their civilian counterparts.

To the best of my ability, IBM has no 'military' version.  I speak for a
bit of experience here, having been involved with 4 different military
contracts involving the Army, Marines, and Navy using ThinkPads.  We had
roughly 400-600 of them actively in use at one time or the other, up to
1000 total units throughout the years, and IBM has no 'mil-spec'
ThinkPad.

The only laptop that is even close to mil-spec is made by Panasonic.

Nate