Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:44:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Aaron D.Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/45243: mysql-server-3.23.53_3 crashes on network access

>Number:         45243
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       mysql-server-3.23.53_3 crashes on network access
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD host.example.com 4.7-STABLE FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #6: Thu Nov 7 21:03:12 MST 2002 root@host.example.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL i386

	I have performed clean builds and installs of the MySQL
	FreeBSD server port using default settings on several
	different machines, from a slow P166 to a dual Xeon
	box, and each box had the same problem.  After the default
	install, the server starts normally (again using the
	default port configuration, no changes made at all yet).
	One can query the mysql or test databases just fine using
	the command-line mysql query tool so long as the connection
	to the database so long as the Unix domain socket is used
	for client-server communications.  As soon as TCP/IP is
	used, the MySQL server crashes (and the safe_mysqld script
	immediately restarts a new server).

	For example:
	  # echo 'select count(Host) from user;' | mysql mysql
	  count(Host)
	  4
	  # echo 'select count(Host) from user;' | mysql -h 127.0.0.1 mysql
	  ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
	  # tail -32 /var/db/mysql/host.err
	  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
	  mysqld got signal 11;
	  This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
	  or one of the libraries it was linked agaist is corrupt, improperly built,
	  or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
	  We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
	  the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
	  and this may fail

	  key_buffer_size=8388600
	  record_buffer=131072
	  sort_buffer=2097144
	  max_used_connections=0
	  max_connections=100
	  threads_connected=0
	  It is possible that mysqld could use up to
	  key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 225791 K
	  bytes of memory
	  Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation

	  021112 11:34:31  mysqld restarted
	  Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
	  If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
	  skip-innodb
	  to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
	  or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
	  section, for example,
	  innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
	  But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
	  the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
	  http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
	  /usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

	Each and every attempt to connect to any database using TCP/IP from
	any host causes the same crash and restart.  Queries using the
	unix socket work just fine.  As you can see from the above, this
	is the raw default configuration of the port (no my.cnf/my.ini
	configuration has been done yet).

	The only solution I found that worked for me was to downgrade to
	a previous version of the port for FreeBSD.  Builds of earlier
	versions on the same boxes don't exhibit this problem at all.

	Looking through the cvs-all mailing archives for changes to the
	MySQL port, I don't see anything in the last week or two that
	jumps out at me as a potential explanation.

	Any ideas?  Both machines ARE tracking -STABLE and so are up-to-date
	OS-wise and all other ports are up-to-date (using portupgrade).

	Thanks in advance for any/all help.