Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 00:09:37 -0400
From:      "David A. Panariti" <davep@who.net>
To:        "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+pop3@kew.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

>>>>> "Drew" == Drew Derbyshire <avatar+pop3@kew.com> writes:

No, I didn't say to automate the cvsup/build/merge, *just* the moving
of the tag.  I don't think cvsup/build/merge is automatable.  But
pieces of it are, like the services provided by mergemaster.  I
*could* do all of the comparisons and merging by hand, but instead
there is a tool that does the tedious, automatable part but leaves
the human in charge.  The script doesn't forget to look at files,
or put the merged copies in the correct place.  We've reduced the our
opportunity to make mistakes and reserved the right to make
judgements.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice for there to be a tag that
identifies the source that is considered to be the most stable with
the most conservative sets of changes applied.  And that at any time
that tag can be used.

This is exactly the same as using RELENG_X_Y and changing it by hand
as needed.  A person interested in doing this kind of tracking will
follow the mailing list, make decisions on when to cvsup, etc.  They
just won't edit the supfile.  This is the way I'd like to stay
"stable."  For me, this is the best mix of stability, security and
access to new features.

And this would be an new tag.  If you don't want to use it, don't.
But don't prevent me from using it just because you don't like it.

This is way too much discussion about way too simple of an idea.
I should just expend the effort on automating the process locally.
Does anyone know if there is a way to query all of the tags available
to cvsup?  Then I could get that list and look for a bump in the major
or minor parts of the current RELENG tag, create a sed script and edit
the supfile that way.  I just hate to type, unless I'm typing code.
Or blathering in emails.  Fortunately, I very much prefer to code.

regards,

davep

Drew> This assumes you can safely suddenly change releases with no
Drew> real human intervention (such as running mergemaster).  Bad
Drew> idea.

>> It is not a matter of knowing it needs changing, it is a matter of
>> changing it.  Any time a procedure and be automated, it should be.
>> It should be one's choice whether or not to use the automation,
>> however.  That's why I suggest a new tag rather than redefining an
>> existing one.
Drew>         .  .  .

--
Did I say 2?  I lied.