Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2012 05:52:48 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Backhaus <robbak@robbak.com>
Subject:   Re: How to run massive portmaster update without repeated interruptions? : correction

Robert Backhaus <robbak@robbak.com> responded:

> What it is asking you is permission to delete old distfiles. You have
> two options to add to your portmaster.rc:

> ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt
> To always remove them without asking, or

> DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt
> To never delete them. Your distfiles directory will quickly get
> massive if you don't do something about stale distfiles.

I saw that in 'man portmaster' and /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc.sample ,
but I thought the files I was prompted for on deletion were the built
packages rather than the distfiles.  Examining /usr/packages/All and
/BETA1/usr/ports/distfiles showed me that those files in question were
outdated distfiles.

So I added DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=Dopt to /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc in
another virtual terminal when I was prompted on deletion.  This had no effect
on the current paused portmaster run but will hopefully work on subsequent
portmaster runs.

Wrong!  I typed the wrong thing here, what I added to /usr/local/etc/portmaster.rc was
ALWAYS_SCRUB_DISTFILES=dopt

Keeping stale distfiles is bad cyber housekeeping and leaves a lot of useless
freight.

Tom