Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 18:38:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas Stromberg <tstromberg@rtci.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0_STABLE Broken (was Re: FTP proxy without translation no longer working? (fwd))

> On Mon 2000-05-22 (02:26), Darren Reed wrote:
> > Okay.  So you want to play "pass the buck".  Backing out that change
> > (which does not fix *any* bugs!) will "fix the problem".  As it is,
> > you've introduced a _new feature_ to the _STABLE branch and broken
> > something.  In my book, that's two crosses you've marked up: changes
> > to _STABLE must not break it and new features must be extensively
> > tested in -current before committing to a release branch.
>
> I agree.  We have to test the change in -CURRENT before committing it to
> -STABLE, and thus it is probably the best move to try back it out, since
> it should be early enough for there not be too many conflicts.  It's not
> at all obvious whether the move to -STABLE was in error - it may just be
> an indication of the lack of ipfilter users who happened to check out
> -CURRENT in the time it was in use.

While I do use it under -CURRENT, I think this bug was a little hard to
catch because typically people who deploy ipfilter as a full gateway (with
FTP Proxying), use -STABLE, since it's pretty important to them getting on
the net.

BTW, is anyone looking at bringing ipfilter up to 3.3.13 in FreeBSD? A lot
of good hotfixes are in there. I'm not sure if ipfilter 3.4.X has been
banged at enough to MFC it for quite a while though. Lest we reproduce
breakages like the one above :)

Can't always find everything in testing :)

--happy user of ipfilter for the last two years.