Date:      Sat, 16 May 2015 13:11:18 +0530
From:      Avinash Sonawane <rootkea@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Swap partition for FreeBSD

Hello all!

I was trying to build www/webkit-gtk3 (a dependency for x11/gnome3)
then it abruptly exited with "Out of swap space error" so I created a
separate 8GB partition to be used as freebsd-swap.

Here is `gpart show`, `gpart show -p`, `swapinfo` and `/etc/fstab`
http://pastebin.com/KSFM49yP

Now my problem is that I see a message "May 16 12:31:59 titanic
kernel: GEOM_PART: Partition 'ada0s6' not suitable for kernel dumps
(wrong type?)" during bootup.

And I think that's because though the system is using ada0s6 as swap
partition (evident from the above pastebin) the partition has a wrong
type. More specifically it is linux-data instead of freebsd-swap (See
`gpart show` in above paste)

So how do I change the type of ada0s6 to freebsd-swap?

I tried `bsdlabel -e ada0s6` but then it said "bsdlabel: /dev/ada0s6:
no valid label found"

Then I tried `gpart modify -i 2878773 -t freebsd-swap ada0s4` then it
said "gpart: pre-check failed: Operation canceled" (Here 2878773 is
the index number of ada0s6. See `gpart show` in above pastebin)

I tried these 2 approaches after `swapoff /dev/ada0s6` too but they
throw same error messages as above.

So how do I get rid of the above mentioned error message appearing
during boot or how do I format ada0s6 to freebsd-swap from linux-data?

Thank you.

--
Avinash Sonawane (RootKea)
PICT, Pune