Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:02:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      The Good/John Scholvin <good@enteract.com>
To:        khansen@njcc.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: 2.2.5 crashing on boot after I add RAM

Ken Hansen wrote:

> The Good/John Scholvin wrote:
> > I've got an old Compaq Contura 4/25 laptop which I'm trying to install 2.2.5
> > on, and I've got a problem I can't figure out. The machine boots the GENERIC
> > kernel fine when it has 8MB RAM installed. I've got an expansion RAM card
> > which, when installed, ups the total to 20MB.
>
> I wonder if the ram expansion is good - have you tried using the same
> exp. board
> under a different OS - Win or other?  Just a thought...

Well, how embarrassing. Turns out I got bad RAM. DOS booted OK but I never
tried running Windows, and DOS never exercised the high addresses since I
don't have HIMEM or any of that junk. A little diagnostic tool found the bad
bits up around the 15M point.

Thanks for the advice, and thanks to all you FreeBSD hackers for putting out
an unbelievably cool product.

John

--
good@enteract.com is The Good, or probably John Scholvin speaking for them.