Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:54:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eckart Hofmann <bofh@muenster.de>
To:        youlgok@attglobal.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't startx

You, youlgok@attglobal.net, wrote:

> I just upgrade to the latest Stable version, 4.2-stable-08120000.  This
> is clean and fresh installation.  After completing the installation
> process and re-boot, I can't run X Window.  I both login as a root and a
> user.  The same box run very well X Window on a previous version,
> FBSD-3.3-R.  After upgrading the whole system, it just doesn't run at
> all.

Seems to be the same "problem" as mine: kern.securelevel.
Have a look into the manpage of init(8) for the backgrounds.
Then you can edit /etc/rc.conf and change the value for kern_securelevel.
But have a look into /etc/rc, there's a line (line 624 on my box) con-
taining "in [ "${kern_securelevel}" -ge 0 ]; then".
The lines below this line raise the securelevel, if the value is 0 or
greater. But if I set kern_securelevel="0" (in /etc/rc.conf), the
securelevel raises up to 1.
So I changed in /etc/rc, line 624 the "ge" into "gt" and I got X started.
At this time I don't understand correctly the behaviour of /etc/rc.
Perhaps this is a bug? Any comments?

Hope, this helps.

Regards,
	Eckart