Date:      Tue, 03 Nov 1998 17:27:22 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "larry_nilsen" <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Subject:   Re: using the term command

On Mon, 02 Nov 1998 23:29:20 -0800, larry_nilsen wrote:

>Hi im trying unsuccesfully to have my modem dial my ISP
>so i can give them my user name and password so i can
>have a connection established.Ive been through all my ppp
>files to see if im missing anything. But with my knowledge
>so far working with my FREEBSD2.2.7 box its possible
>i might be missing somthing in one of the 7 files a person is
>suppose to edit to establish a connection using the ppp co-
>mmand.I have a feeling that my modem is not correctly
>configured yet and if its possible could you please tell me
>how i might go about doing this task.when i type dmesg |
>fgrep sio it says my modem is on cuaa0.

Actually, grepping for "sio" only tells you with sio devices exist, not
what they are.

Here's my sio devices:

sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A

sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A

sio2 at 0x3e8-0x3ef irq 11 on isa
sio2: type 16550A

sio3 at 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 12 on isa
sio3: type 16550A

Which one is my modem??  You can't tell from this...

How many sio devices are reported on your system??  If only sio0 then
you're right, that must be your modem.  But that would also be fairly
unusual these days, because serial ports exist on most recent
motherboards.  Anyway, once you go into term, type AT<enter> and see if
your modem responds with OK.  If it does, we're in business, you DO
know for sure which sio port your modem is on.  If it doesn't, then we
need to find it.  Inside of ppp.conf is a definition for where the
modem is:

set device /dev/cuaa1

See, ppp comes "out-of-the-box" configured for COM2 (sio1), not COM1
(sio0).  So if your modem is on COM1, you need to change this line to
cuaa0, and try to get the OK from the modem again.  Keep trying sio
ports until you find an OK.
If your modem is a "WinModem", you lose, this won't work and neither
will it outside of Winblows.

You also have to pick a port speed that your modem/serial port actually
supports.  If you have a 33K modem or faster, then you can probably
use:

set speed 115200

But if you have an older serial port or modem, try a slower speed, like
57600

So if you got the OK from your modem, use ATDT phone number to call
your ISP and see if you get a login prompt.

>Thats great now
>what do i do to get the modem to dial out when i use the term
>command.Right now when i use term it doesnt do anything
>it just hangs and i have to type ~. to get my cursur back.
>I would really like to get this up and running. If possible could
>you send me a sample copy of a running ppp.conf file that i
>could copy to my ppp.conf with just a miminal amount of
>editing.same for linkup etc....... I know i will get this going
>one of these days its just a matter of Patience:)

Here's my ppp.conf (I use PAP/CHAP).  If you get a login prompt back
from your ISP, you'll need to modify my ppp.conf
Look for the unix login comments

default:
 set server /var/tmp/internet 0177
 set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 allow user steve
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 115200
 set ifaddr 0 0
 set timeout 0
# enable dns
# set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK
ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 60 CONNECT"
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATZ OK-ATZ-OK
\\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 60 CONNECT"

lakernet:
 set phone 8526304|4701274
 set authname YOUR_UID_FROM_YOUR_ISP_GOES_HERE
 set authkey YOUR_PASSWORD_FROM_YOUR_ISP_GOES_HERE
# use for unix login
# set login "TIMEOUT 15 login:-\\r-login:
YOUR_UID_FROM_YOUR_ISP_GOES_HERE word: \\P"
# use for PAP/CHAP login
 set login
# bogus class A address just to establish a default route and enable
# ppp-on-demand. Will be replaced by ppp.linkup
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0
 add default 10.0.0.2
# set ifaddr 208.0.233.1/24 208.0.233.2/24 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
# add default 208.0.233.2

eminet:
 set phone 9629727
 set authname YOUR_UID_FROM_YOUR_ISP_GOES_HERE
 set authkey YOUR_PASSWORD_FROM_YOUR_ISP_GOES_HERE
# use for unix login
# set login "TIMEOUT 15 login:-\\r-login:
YOUR_UID_FROM_YOUR_ISP_GOES_HERE word: \\P"
# use for PAP/CHAP login
 set login
# bogus class A address just to establish a default route and enable
# ppp-on-demand. Will be replaced by ppp.linkup
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0
 add default 10.0.0.2

Here's my ppp.linkup
MYADDR:
 delete ALL
 add default HISADDR

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.