Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:03:59 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's the interest in standard tools rewritten in perl?

As Søren Schmidt wrote:

> I wouldn't bet on that 80% factor, if somebody is going to rewrite the
> base utils. For one this is a total waste of time (and maybe talent),
> the other is that it will render us completely incompatible with the
> rest of the BSD world. I think that nobody would be stupid enough to
> willingly takeover that kind of maintenance burden...

We've been there before, so this will be my last followup in this
thread.  (Please, don't redirect any future personal Cc's to me
either, i'm getting sick of Cc's for lengthy threads i'm not
interested in.)

Go and read Net/2's whereis(1) code, and then decide which one is
easier maintenable.  (Sorry, the Net/2 code is `tainted', so you need
a FreeBSD 1.x CD-ROM for it.  This was another reason to use Perl for
me, the structure is now so clearly different that nobody could claim
a copyright violation, even though the user interface is basically the
same.  Don't count on the 4.4BSD-Lite version at all, it's totally
crippled, compared to the historic one.  I wouldn't have rewritten it
at all otherwise.)

Scripting languages are mainly used to _reduce_ the maintenance
effort.  Wonder why phk prefers Tcl for so many things? ;)

> If I want useless bloat

That's why i told about a required *justification* before somebody's
going to rewrite something.  Just a rewrite only, with (nearly) the
same features, the same bad structure, etc. constitutes IMHO not a
justification.  Neither of my quoted examples falls into this.

The question whether some particular developer perhaps doesn't `speak'
some of the used languages himself might bias him, but this alone
doesn't establish ``unmaintenable code''.  I bet even CVSup is
probably way easier to maintain for me now than it would have been
written in C++, or (*shudder* :) in C.  And i've got absolutely no
experience in M3 right now.  But i've got no doubts i could learn it
if necessary...

--
cheers, J"org