Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:02:39 +0200
From:      Peter Boosten <peter@boosten.org>
To:        Ed Flecko <edflecko@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with "ezjail-admin create" command

On 14 jul 2010, at 21:49, Ed Flecko wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I've found a website ( http://wiki.freebsd.org/AppserverJailsHOWTO )
> with a tutorial that steps me through most if what I'm trying to
> set-up; I'm trying to use ezjail to set up the latest version of
> Apache with my website. I've carefully followed the steps, and the
> only step that I've found that seems to be wrong is the author's
> reference to "default" which doesn't seem to exist; it's actually
> "example" so I've changed my commands accordingly.
>=20
> I'm confused about the "ezjail-admin create" command.
>=20
> When I installed FreeBSD, I set up a partition called "www", because I
> thought it might be easier for me to backup all of my web sites, etc.,
> and it's easier for me to remember where I installed Apache.
>=20
> I've modified my ezjail.conf file and the ezjail_jaildir line to read:
> ezjail_jaildir=3D/www/jails
>=20
> When I issue this command:
>=20
> ezjail-admin create -f example apache 192.168.225.128
>=20
> I get this error:
>=20
> find: /www/jails/apache/pkg/: no such file or directory
> Note: Shell scripts for flavour example installed, flavourizing on
> jails first startup.

I think you're better off creating a fresh jail, and install apache via =
the ports collection. for the templates to work you need to specify all =
dependencies by hand.

>=20
> It also throws an error about "some services already seem to be
> listening on IP 192.168.225.128"
>=20
> 1.) What did I screw up? This isn't normal, is it?

This is a normal thing. By default services on FreeBSD listen on all =
interfaces, and since jails use an alias on an existing interface, it'll =
listen on that as well. You will need to change the configurations of =
the services on the host for at least all services you will run on the =
jail as well (so if your host runs apache, you'll need to reconfigure =
apache to listen only on one IP address, or have apache in the jail =
listen on another port than 80). Same goes for sshd and other services.

>=20
> 2.) When using the "ezjail-admin create" command, the IP address that
> I'm passing is supposed to be the IP address of the HOST machine
> (because it has the "basejail", right?), isn't it?

No, the IP address the jail will have (but you have to create an alias =
on the host to that IP address)

>=20
> 3.) When I type:  find / -name apache
>=20
> I get:
>=20
> /usr/local/etc/ezjail/apache and /www/jails/apache
>=20
> Does the ezjail program create TWO instances of what will be my
> "jailed" Apache? Why does it do that? Did I goof something else up, or
> is that "normal"?

Those are probably symlinks...

Peter
--=20