Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:15:21 -0800
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@z-code.ncd.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, ulf@z-code.ncd.com (Ulf Zimmermann)
Cc:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com, bertus%mikom.csir.co.za@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com, questions%freebsd.org@inet-gw-1.pa.dec.com
Subject:   Re: ISDN devices supported?

On Feb 8, 18:13, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Subject: Re: ISDN devices supported?
> > > The real answer is to disdain ISDN anyway: the reason for it is to
> > > allow metering charges by the Telco's, and that should be discouraged.
> > >-- End of excerpt from Terry Lambert
> >
> > Disdain ? Sure. But Frame Relay 128K cost me $275 a month ;-(
>
> Looks like you need another hat.  8-).
>
> Is this because of charges at the ISP/NSP or charges by the Telco?
>
> If the Telco, I can't recommend anything other than going to the
> public hearings and making yourself heard.
>
> If the ISP/NSP, I can suggest you compete with him.
>
> In my area, there is little difference: ~$80/month for frame relay
> from your location to a designated cloud, and ~$220/month for Internet
> Direct (or $300/month for US West, plus you need your own router with
> US West while I.D. provides a really dumb one for you -- how can you
> enter a market at $80/month higher than your competition and expect to
> not get your shorts eaten?).
>
> So you are winning by $25 to $105 a month over me.
>
> ISDN is a little cheaper, but goes up drastically for Telco charges
> for anything useful (ie: more than 8 days of connect a month -- means
> no Web services, etc.).  Plus ISDN is only available in some locations.
> The ISP costs are nearly the same, even though the equipment costs for
> FR are near nothing, comparatively (an ISP needs an ISDN connect in
> per ISDN user -- ISDN is switched virtual circuit, just like a phone
> call).
>
> For reasonable connectivity (ie: online all the time, but not necessarily
> pounding out the packets all the time), ISDN is simply unusable.
>

> It's all a plot to make us buy our phone services from our Cable TV
> companies (I will buy my phone and net services from the same company
> when I can, and it will be whichever charges me less.  TCI is charging
> ~$28/month for 6Mbit/S fiber optic net connection to 100,000 homes in
> Southern California... with phone service thrown in).
>-- End of excerpt from Terry Lambert

Price is from Pacific Bell for Frame Relay in the CA Lata 1 area, which
includes all the SF Bay Area. $275 = 128K, $574(?) = 384K and $675 = 1.5 MB
ISP are starting at $200 for 128K as cheapest and most starts at $350. ISDN
Centrex would cost the same for ISP but only <$40 for ISDN from Pacific Bell.

Ulf.

--
Ulf Zimmermann, NCD Software, 101 Rowland Way, Suite 300, Novato, CA 94945
phone: 415-899-7941, email: ulf@z-code.ncd.com, phone-home: 510-865-0204