Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 15:08:02 -0600
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT in GENERIC

> Is there any objection for the DPT driver being added to the GENERIC kernel
> configuration and thus being available on the standard boot floppy?

I don't have any objection to the DPT driver in GENERIC if it doesn't break
anything else, but I do object to this:

> ``I do not know what/do not have a DPT controller'' is not a valid
> objection.

The reason I object is this:

> The DPT driver allows FreeBSD users the use of a family of SCSI RAID
> controllers which are typically used in high end servers.  For details
I'd bet that folks who've got these DPT things don't often run GENERIC kernels
on their high-end servers, and probably don't have too much trouble getting
FreeBSD installed on those high-end servers even though the GENERIC kernel
lacks a driver they need.  The GENERIC kernel has to fit on the boot floppy
that's used to do an initial installation on a machine that's the only
computer in the building, and not connected to any network.  As long as adding
the DPT driver doesn't adversely effect that, then fine, add it.