Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 00:13:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jooji@webnology.com (Jasper O'Malley)
Cc:        Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca, billf@chc-chimes.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, onemo@jps.net
Subject:   Re: ports/9864: make rblcheck use relay.orbs.org instead  of

> No, it's not. It's a growing list of every dialup pool on the Internet.
> The manifesto on their web page mentions nothing about a spammer's use of
> a netblock as criteria for adding the block. There's no remedy for DUL
> victims as there is for RBL offenders. If you're dialup, you're forced to
> relay through an "authorized" mail server. Most people do this anywa--*I*
> do this anyway--being forced to do so irks the shit out of me.

It probably irks the shit out of "legitimate SPAM ``providers''",
too.

> We're not talking about relaying. We're talking about end to end
> connectivity.

Exactly.  Closing *any* SMTP relay damages the ability to source
route email.  But that's the world we currently live in.

> DUL forces a lot of people to relay when they otherwise would not.

Yes, it does.  Eventually, it will force deployment of IPv6, or
deployment of certificate based non-SPAM'mer identification, both
of which are a much better solution that an RBL or ORBS based system.

> It alsop takes things to the next level: it *forces* you to
> cooperate with MAPS.

Whis is pretty much why they are doing it.  They are diking the ability
to SPAM out of the Internet.

> Let me make something crystal clear: I fucking *despise* spam. I actively
> hunt down spammers and get their accounts cancelled. But DUL doesn't
> target spammers or careless admins and their ISPs. It just paints
> all dialup users with the same brush.

Apparently, my provider just got tarred with the ORBS brush in the
last hour or so, maybe in retaliation for my participation in this
conversation, for all I know.

Oh well.  I reported it to Primenet's powers-that-be, and they'll
take care of it.  Meanwhile, I won't be able to send useful information
to idiots, which is no great loss for me, and certainly of no value
to the idiots, who wouldn't know what to do with it, anyway.

See, there *is* parity in the universe...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.