Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:23:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        admin@scls.lib.wi.us (Network Administrator)
Cc:        marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com (Marc van Woerkom), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount alien floppy? (Brother word processor)

Network Administrator babbled:
> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:27:17 -0500

> At 08:16 AM 8/7/00 , Marc van Woerkom wrote:
> >Is there no way to link the brother hardware to a FreeBSD box?
> >Seraial link or such?
> >
> >If those floppies are readable at all on PC hardware you might have
> >luck hunting for a converter in old MS DOS file collections (like
> >FIDO mailbox systems :)
>
> No linkage is possible. The Brother unit has an integrated daisy wheel
> printer. There are no output ports of any kind.
>
> The floppies are truly alien. I tried dd with if=/dev/fd0 and it aborted
> when fd0 didn't find what it expected. Their web site indicates that their
> oldest models use a 240K proprietary format, and I think that is what I'm
> up against.
>
> Pretty sure I'm near the end of this line of inquiry, as it seems the only
> thing to do now would be to attempt connecting their floppy drive hardware
> to a Wintel motherboard and writing a custom FreeBSD driver for it. I'm not
> seriously considering trying it myself, and (since it seems notably
> unprofitable and masochistic) I don't expect anyone to leap forward and
> volunteer.

I may have missed something, but why not stick the floppy in a Brother
machine (borrowed, if you no longer have one), print it out, and take it
to your scanner?  You'd have some reformatting to do, and possibly a few
scanos to correct, but you'd at least have your documents back.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD             http://www.dunham.org
jdunham@fc.net               jerry@dunham.org            (512)335-0674 (H)

                             E Pluribus Unix