Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:25:14 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Ceri Davies" <setantae@submonkey.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How Do I Build IPFW2 Only (Was Re: How Do I Specify -DIPFW2 In make.conf?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ceri Davies" <setantae@submonkey.net>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc: "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 12:55 PM

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 11:20:40AM -0800, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> > I would like to enable IPFW2 support in 4.7-STABLE.  The Handbook
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.7R/relnotes-i386.html#AEN78) tells me
> > add 'options IPFW2' to the kernel config file and I understand that.
> >
> > Then it tells me to compile libalias and ipfw with the -DIPFW2 make
option.
> > If I understand the purpose of /etc/make.conf correctly, I should be
able to
> > specify -DIPFW2 there?  How do I accomplish this?
> >
> > I'm sure this has been covered previously but my searches on Google are
not
> > turning it up.  Thanks for a nudge to the appropriate docs!
>
> IPFW2= true

Thank you for your response.  I have added this to make.conf.

Prior to adding it, I ran 'make buildworld'.  How can I just rebuild IPFW so
it is IPFW2 instead without rebuilding my whole world?  I saw in the
Handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html#Q21
.4.15.1 an example for building pieces.  Based on this example, I went to
/usr/src/sys/netinet and tried issuing make but without success.  I don't
really understand the make process very well but I'm sure it didn't work
because there was no Makefile.  Can I just build IPFW2 instead of rebuilding
the whole world?

Thanks for helping me through this.

Drew