Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:50:34 -0500
From:      "Doug Kite" <dkite@websgi.icomnet.com>
To:        support@cdrom.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE cdrom drive problems

I am trying to get an IDE cdrom working in my FreeBSD 2.1.5 machine.
It has an Adaptec 1542 scsi controller, and one scsi disk. The only
reason for the IDE controller is the cdrom (no ide drives). I
recompiled the kernel with options ATAPI and device wcd0. I have
tried all the combinations of master, slave, single on several
different cdrom drives, yet I always get the following messages at
boot time:

wdc0 not found at 0x1f0
wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <E            D R M D I E 2 2/ . 5>, removable
wdc1: unit 0: unknown ATAPI protocol=0

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA,
Doug

Doug Kite                email: dkite@icomnet.com
Network Administrator         phone: 919-559-6442
Lenoir County MIS               fax: 919-523-0371