Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 01:08:29 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFE.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HotJava

>>> "Jordan K. Hubbard" said:
 > I think the project could definitely use some help!  Just a lot of
 > people thinking about it is the situation I believe we have now..
 >
 > 					Jordan
 >
 > > Is anyone still working on porting HotJava to FreeBSD?  I see that a
 > > version of pthreads that supports FreeBSD has been released.  I might
 > > be interested in taking this on; in a previous life I was a Common
 > > Lisp implementor and have some appreciation of the issues.
 > >
 > > Tim

Well Sun , okay I will stop there :)

If folks like to work on this sort of languages please take a look at
guile-ii avaiable in the ports/lang directory in freebsd.cdrom.com.

All in all and I am not a lawyer from a copyright standpoint, I would
say Java and guile are about the same. Different restrictions of course
but the end result is that in one Sun owns the code and in the other
the sources for guile most be made available. Take your pick....

One nice thing about guile is that it works and is available today .
Sure that it needs more work but I bet that in the same amount time
that anyone in here spends on *porting* Java you will be further along with
guile.

	Enjoy,
	Amancio