Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 02:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/2222: 2.1.6 fails to detect com2

The following reply was made to PR kern/2222; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, mmcg@heraclitus.cs.monash.edu.au
Cc:  Subject: Re: kern/2222: 2.1.6 fails to detect com2
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:43:24 +1100

 >Each has an (ahem) WD8003 ethernet card on IRQ 3.

 >After the upgrade to 2.1.6, the probe for sio1 fails,
 >both using GENERIC and recompiled kernels.
 >
 >The listed boxes were definitely fine under 2.1.0.  I'm not sure whether
 >they were working under 2.1.5 (I rarely see their console messages,
 >since I usually rlogin to these boxes).  It's unlikely
 >to be some bizarre simultaneous hardware failure (they're
 >ethernetted together, not laplinked).  Having the ether cards
 >configured to IRQ3 has never disturbed the serial probe before.

 The only relevant changes in sio in 2.1.6 are that ports aren't
 initialized unless they are configured (and enabled), and sio3 isn't
 enabled by default.  Now sio3 must be enabled manually if it exists and is
 on irq 3.  Otherwise, sio3 may conflict with sio1.  The conflict normally
 stops sio1 from working.  Enabling both sio1 and sio3 stops only the
 last one probed (usually sio3) from working (if it is on the same irq).

 I don't know why having the ethernet boards on the same irq doesn't
 cause similar problems.

 Bruce