Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 97 01:07:38 -0700
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: .zip vs. .tar.gz [was: zipfs filesystem anyone ? ]

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:26:35 +0930, Mike Smith wrote:

>If tar was smart, it would use the external compression tool to
>compress the data for each file as it read it, rather than compressing
>the output stream.  You would still lose, as the tar format does not
>have a central directory.

	I've never understood why InfoZip didn't catch on more in the
Unix world.  It is a very useful tool, which does almost everything on
the list of requests that you and others are asking for. :)  If you
want more info, http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/

Doug

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***