Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:45:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I ask you to respond to Linus

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, John S. Dyson wrote:
> 	Linus just attacked me publically in a very uncalled for way
> 	on USENET.  I responded as strongly as I could, but there was
> 	no reason for him to call me a liar.  I value integrity more
> 	highly than ANY programming skill.  Please try to convince him
> 	to publically retract his statement.

John, as much your point was valid, I really think you should have just
left that whole thing alone.

> 	I did respond very aggressively, but it was deserved.  If his
> 	posting was forged, I would publically apologize to him, but
> 	I have NO REASON to suspect that.
>
> 	The flamewar had settled down, and this thing came out of the
> 	blue.  I know that he is young, but this is ridiculous.

No, fussing about a benchmark is ridiculous.  I know that this is a matter
of personal pride in some ways, but I don't think that its that big of
an issue.  If you feel that lmbench isn't an accurate benchmark, maybe you
need to come up with one that meets your approval.

Just because Linux does better on one particular aspect of one benchmark
doesn't mean that Linux is a better OS.  I've followed some of the work
that Alan Cox (and others) did on the Linux networking code, and portions
of it are as fast as they can get, as they're hand optimized for the
pentium.

I realize that the more zealous members of the Linux community take great
pains to try to put down all other OSs, but I doubt we've a need to follow
their example.

I apologise if my perceptions of this issue are flawed or off base.

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|