Date:      Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:13:17 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Gerald <gcoon@inch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Confusing DNS issue behind FreeBSD NAT

Gerald wrote:

> These are from the machine behind the nat/gateway. Notice without
> specifying what server to query with dig, it ignores /etc/resolv.conf
> and queries localhost. What am I missing? (digs are trimmed to practical
> information for brevity.)
>
> Wed Jul 06  12:30:23
> root@10:( /usr/src/) $  uname -a
> FreeBSD 10.4.10.75 5.4-STABLE FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #1: Thu Jun 23 10:59:58
> CDT 2005     root@10.4.10.75:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEB-NOIPV6  i386
> Wed Jul 06  12:30:28
> root@10:( /usr/src/) $  cat /etc/resolve.conf nameserver 10.4.10.1
> nameserver 24.153.158.62

Just to be sure... your problem box has a proper /etc/resolv.conf,
or has it instead a *resolve.conf* as shown in your test sequence
above? Of course, a resolve.conf file would rightly be ignored.

If the typo is only in your email and not really on the box, then I
can only report that I see no such problems on a comparable setup
(-STABLE client behind a -STABLE NAT box, both updated with src &
ports circa July 2).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348