Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:49:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cheng Jin <chengjin@cs.caltech.edu>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Xiaoliang Wei <weixl@cs.caltech.edu>
Subject:   SMP + dual GbE

Hi,

We are currently working on a high-speed TCP project.  We have a couple of
machines built on supermicro's P4DP6 board each with two 2.4 Ghz Xeon
processors and two GbE cards from SysKonnect.  We were able to get close to
1 Gbps throughput(loopback tests) on RedHat Linux 7.3 SMP kernel
(2.4.18-3) with interrupt moderation on the GbE cards (5000 interrupts/s)
and binding one CPU to each card.

However, under FreeBSD SMP, we have only been able to achieve about 640
Mbps on each card.  I suppose the binding of CPU to card is implicit (?)
under FreeBSD SMP since we didn't notice any out-of-order packets.  We
tried interrupt moderation going as high as 10,000 per second and as low
as 2500, but that didn't seem to help much.  Furthermore, we were able to get
about 560 Mbps throughput for each card under a single-processor kernel so
it seems that the extra processor didn't help much under SMP.

We don't know a whole lot about how SMP works under FreeBSD.  Actually, we
don't know anything about FreeBSD SMP.  Any comments/suggestions are
greatly appreciated.

Cheng

Lab # 626 395 8820