Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 21:47:39 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Tor Stormwall <tor@stormwall.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing the size of my / partition

Tor Stormwall <tor@stormwall.org> types:
> If I got this right, FreeBSD has an volume manager, like in HP-UX etc.
> And if there are one. How can I take some space from /usr and put some
> in my / partition.

FreeBSD doesn't have a volume manager (having only seen AIX's, I'm
*very* happy about that).

However, recent versions have "growfs", which will grow a a file
system to fill all of a partition if it doesn't feel the complete
thing. If you can add space at the end of a partition, you can use
growfs to expand the file system. To take space out of a partition,
you have to dump it, shrink it, newfs the shorter partition, then
restore the dump. So - if /usr follows / with nothing or nothing but
swap, you can do what you're asking for.

If that seems a bit much, you can find something on / and move it to
/usr. /var and /tmp are standard choices to move.

	<mike