Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:59:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw rules to allow DNS activity

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Jesse wrote:

> hehe). Anyway, I was wondering what are the minimum rules necessary to
> allow DNS queries/transfers from other servers to my server, and also to
> allow queries from my server to other servers.

I'm running BIND8, and would suggest that you simply use an
'allow-transfer' statement in named.conf if you are doing the same.
Unless you prefer using ipfw for some reason, setup and maintenance seems
much simpler and understandable through named.conf.

	allow-transfer {
		10.2.0.1;	// ips of servers to allow...
		10.2.0.3;
		//etc...