Date:      Fri, 4 Dec 1998 12:27:30 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Allen Smith <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@iijlab.net>, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can we just come to a decision on IPv6 and IPSec?

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 09:56:52PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I believe IPsec just ran into a larger problem... parts excerpted for
> > fair use. The Wassenaar countries include the home countries of all
> > the IPsec participants, so far as I know.
>
> I think it's too early to say.  Let's just get the technology in place
> and worry about the export issues, whatever form they may have that
> month, later.  If we do it the other way around, we'll never get to
> the point where we have any technology worth exporting in any case and
> the entire point will be somewhat moot.

Just to bring in another point: A group of people I'm part of just
initiated contact with the Norwegian Foreign Ministry (export
division) and got the new norwegian rules.  They have a very
interesting twist: They disallow export of anything with stronger than
56-bit crypto, but have a deliberate exception for 'software for
general consumption', with a definition of 'software for general
consumption' that seem to only fit Open Source (normal commercial
software does _not_ fit it).

Eivind.