Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2001 01:56:37 +0459
From:      fn@hungry.org (Faried Nawaz)
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        blymn@baesystems.com.au
Subject:   Re: quake2 on freebsd.

The client now works under X (I was munmap'ing incorrectly; stuff
wasn't aligned with page boundaries), but no sound.  Also, there's a
weird display bug: see http://web.nilpotent.org/tmp/xwd.jpg (81k, 1024x768).

However, it seems like the quakeforge people broke the source tree.  So,

- grab quake2 from their cvsroot (see
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=25238+0+current/freebsd-chat)
- apply http://web.nilpotent.org/tmp/q2-freebsd-diff1.txt
- cd into quake2 and untar http://web.nilpotent.org/tmp/q2-freebsd-diff2.tar.gz
- cd into the freebsd directory, and type gmake.

You will need ports/graphics/Mesa3 to build it (or you can hack the
makefile to not build ref_gl.so -- a trivial hack).

Run it as "./quake2 +set vid_ref softx" the first time.

If you fix q2-freebsd-diff1.txt in the obvious way, it should also build on
NetBSD/i386.

My copy of Quake II is somewhere in the mail, so I've tested it with the q2
demo.

Hmm.  And I just noticed -- multiplayer q2 has problems, but only with the
softx render.