Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 20:37:31 -0500
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>
To:        Avalon Books <avalon@advicom.net>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Chipset Questions

Moved to hardware from hackers...

<bold>At 01:06 PM 2/5/98 -0600, Avalon Books wrote:

</bold>

<italic>>   Has anyone heard of any strangeness concerning intel 430TX or
430HX

>chipsets? Does FreeBSD use a generic bridge drivers, or is there
specific

>support drivers for the newer bridges? So far, everything has run
quite

>nicely on 430FX and 430VX chipsets...

</italic>

Some of the weirdest things I've heard have to do with how finicky these
boards can be about RAM selection.  Buying the correct speed from one
manufacturer has never been so important.  I also remember reading about
some cache limitations of certain chipsets (e.g., how much memory they
will effectively cache), but I don't remember any of it.  Others on this
list or some web site will have the answer.

<italic>>   And how about DMA-22 and Ultra-DMA 33 IDE drives? I expect
that most of

>the special features of these drives are handled at the hardware
level,

>and are invisible to the operating system, but I haven't really heard

>anything to support this theory.

</italic>

I've had no problems with my Ultra-DMA/33 IDE drives. (knock on wood)
But I will warn that if you want to use another more mainstream OS (e.g.,
OS/2, Windows, even some UNIXes), beware that they may have problems
recognizing the geometry of a large drive.  OS/2 and Windows are
especially funny, because while they both are able to use ridiculously
large partitions (a la 512 GB), their setup programs will not...

K.S.