Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 17:36:08 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        bruce lindquist <blindquist@microinstrument.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UPGRADING PORTS

On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 08:12:27AM -0800, bruce lindquist stood up and spoke:

> Can someone please help me? I currently have KDE version: 2.2 installed on my
> system and I want to upgrade it to version 2.2.2. What steps do I need to
> take to accomplish this. So far I have installed cvsup and ran it with my
> "supfile." So far so good, I think. I then went to the //localhost/usr/ports
> location and typed "make." Everything seemed to work ok. Then I typed "make
> install" and it seemed to work ok. What do I do now? Did I miss any steps? I
> ran "pkg_version | grep '<'" and get a lot of apps that are <.

You did a make in /usr/ports? Didn't that take a very long time, like half
a year or so?

Well, generally, I do not use any software that isn't part of the FreeBSD
base system to keep my ports current. Basically, the procedure I use goes
like this:

1) CVSup the latest ports tree, as described in the FreeBSD handbook. If
you have a reasonably fast machine, a "make index" in /usr/ports cannot
hurt.

2) Run pkg_version and let it write the output to a file, if needed
(pkg_version > ports_info).

3) Observe pkg_versions output. All ports marked with = are current, while
those marked with < probably need upgrading. I say probably because
sometimes a < does not mean that a new version of the port has become
available, but that only the port version has been bumped. In that case,
some FreeBSD - internal changes were made to the port, and you must decide
yourself if that justifies an update.

4) If you've found a port to update, first of all locate its proper name.
Let's asume I want to update vim, my favorite editor. So I enter "pkg_info
| grep vim". This gives me output like "vim-6.0.101 - Vi workalike with
many additional features". Now that I know the exact name of my current vim
port, I can remove it with "pkg_delete vim-6.0.101".

5) Now, pull the new version in. To continue the vim example, I'd cd to
/usr/ports/editors/vim, type "make" and "make install", and there I go!
Typing "pkg_info | grep vim" will also show me that the new version of vim
has been installed and properly registered.

Now, there are some utilities (portupgrade, for example) that are supposed
to make this a little more confortable for you. However, I have always
found that I can get everything done just fine with the approach outlined
above.

Hope that helps.

Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany