Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 11:14:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        daniel@hingis.org (Daniel Kim)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: D-Link DFE-550TX Woes

> I have had problems with the D-Link DFE-550TX card ever since I
> installed FreeBSD.4.1-RELEASE

I haven't done much to this driver since I wrote it, so I'm not quite
sure what your problem could be. It would help if you could a) provide
a complete dmesg from your system so we can see what other hardware you
have, and b) provide a test case that triggers the problem.

> <2 3699-0> (10:15:58) [ dk@omnia ~ ]% uname -vm
> FreeBSD 4.2-BETA #0: Fri Nov 10 17:39:54 EST 2000
> root@omnia.qwarp.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MATRIX  i386
>
> <2 3700-0> (10:16:03) [ dk@omnia ~ ]% dmesg | grep -i ste0
> ste0: <D-Link DFE-550TX 10/100BaseTX> port 0xe400-0xe47f mem 0xe1000000-0xe100007f irq 11
> at device 8.0 on pci0
>
> <2 3701-0> (10:19:50) [ dk@omnia ~ ]% tail /var/log/messages
> Nov 30 01:23:41 omnia /kernel: ste0: transmission error: 88

The 0x08 part of this means 'excess collisions.' What you also need to
do is show us what 'ifconfig ste0' says so we can tell what the link
state is supposed to be, and explain what the NIC is connected to
(switch, hub, crossover cable, whatever). You only get collisions
in half-duplex mode, so the card thinks the link is half-duplex.

> Any suggestions on why the NIC keeps stalling?

Not without more info.

> If this is a driver/NIC specific issue, I am willing to purchase a 3c905x
> since I believe the xl device has been proven and tested good under
> FreeBSD.

The Sundance ST201 is actually a clone of the 3Com 3c90x series, in that
it has much the same programming API. It's not that bad a chip. I'd much
rather diagnose the problem rather than having you scurry off and switch
cards.

Out of curiosity, where did you purchase this card? I wasn't aware that
D-Link was selling the DFE-550TX in the U.S. yet. (A lot of their cards
turn up only in asian markets. For example, I've yet to see a DFE-540TX
(Macronix 98715-based) anywhere in the U.S.)

-Bill