Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 1999 13:28:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        xy 127 <xy127@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: making a port??

On 04-Dec-99 xy 127 wrote:
> I downloaded cdrecord.tar.gz from the FreeBSD Ports collection and
> extracted it and typed ``make'' and here's the error I got:
>
> bash-2.03$ make
> "/usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk", line 2: Could not find
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> bash-2.03$
> bash-2.03$ more /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
> PORTSDIR?=      /usr/ports
> .include        "${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.port.mk"
> bash-2.03$
>
> My /usr/ports directory is empty.  Where can I get
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk???
>
> Also why is it when I extract cdrecord.tar.gz with
> `tar zxvf cdrecord.tar.gz` it puts the files in
> pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/sysutils/??
> Why doesn't it just extract the files you need, whats the
> deal with all the extra dirs?

(sorry -questions folks if you've already answered this.., and this shouldn't
have been sent to -stable anyway..:)

You need to have the ports collection's "backbone" installed in order to use
any port. When I say "backbone" I mean the Mk dir, which contains the
necessary makefiles needed to build and install ports. You can use cvsup to get
portions of the FreeBSD ports collection (install the cvsup-bin package or
something like that), or you can try to get Mk/* off the ftp servers, it should
be in pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/Mk. The "deal" with all the extra
directories is that the mechanism used to download ports off the website makes
it download a tarball that contains the full path on the FTP server. Your best
shot would be downloading it like so:

fetch ftp://ftpX.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/Y/Z.tar

where X is a number between 2 and 6, Y is the port's category, and Z is the
name of the port. Of course, some of the ftp servers don't support downloading
directories as tarballs, and I've prodded people about this before. So if none
of the ftp2->ftp6 support it, you'll have to resort to the main ftp server.

Good day.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>