Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 22:11:09 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), daniel_sobral@voga.com.br, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

> What you have asked for is actually a hell of a lot more work than
> just supplying the patches... it's basically an explanation of the
> reasoning behind my FS worldview, and why I approach solving FS
> problems the way I do, and exactly what makes me think something
> is a problem or not.

I never said it wasn't work.  But, much *less* so than making a compiler
work that much faster or generate measurably faster code, which takes a
*LOT* nowadays.

We're not comparing 'apply these patches' vs. 'explain FS design'.
We're comparing 'volunteering a bunch of FreeBSD volunteers to re-write
LKM, move to ELF, build pageable kernels, build faster compilers,
implement VM86, change the way swap is allocated, make the kernel's
locking much more fine-grained, architecture independant build system,
etc...'.

> I have to actually block out a large chunk of time to be able to do
> this in a way that isn't half-assed.

See above.  For useful/robust solutions to the above, a person needs
large chunks of time to keep everything straight, since at least a
portion of the above problems are at least as complex in terms of
keeping lots of things straight.

Nate