Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:44:34 +0100
From:      "Torfinn Ingolfsen" <torfinn.ingolfsen@oslo.online.no>
To:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ignorant networking Qs

> The card gets recognized fine. I notice, however, that when I unplug
> the cable from the desktop and plug it into the dongle, the fourth LED
> (marked 'enet') on my DSL modem goes out ... and does not come back

You say that you use the same cable for both machines. If you hadn't I would
have suspected that you were using a straight through (normal) cable for the laptop,
and a crossover (yellow) cable for the desktop.

Do you know that the 3Com card works at all? It sounds to me like either the card or the
dongle for the card is broken.

--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway