Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 1998 02:18:14 +0900
From:      Jun-ichiro itojun Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba-1.9.17p2

>> The samba-1.9.17p2 package from the 2.2.5 distribution does not create a
>> smb.conf file. I pkg_delete'd it and re-pkg_added it (bit of windows
>> think there 8) ), no joy. No smb.conf is listed in the +CONTENTS file.
>> What am I assuming wrong or not RTFMing?
>It is installed as ${PREFIX}/etc/smb.conf.default.  You copy that
>file to smb.conf and edit appropriately.  There is a good reason
>it isn't listed in the +CONTENTS file: if you upgrade samba by
>deleting the old package and installing the new, it will
>obediantly delete the smb.conf file you so carefully constructed.
>This way, your config file remains untouched.

	oops john, please DO list everything into pkg/PLIST.  Only those
	files that are listed in pkg/PLIST will be included in package
	(binary distribution).
	Since (old, 2.2.5-RELEASE) samba port does not list
	etc/smb.conf.default in pkg/PLIST, samba package does not have
	that file.  Now first-time user who installed samba package will
	not be able to have etc/smb.conf.default.

	To avoid overwrite, (IMHO) configuration file should be installed
	under name "foobaa-dist" or "foobaa.sample".  Of course the file
	must be listed in pkg/PLIST.

itojun