Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:01:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        cvs-committers@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crypto in the kernel: where & how?

What is the plan (if any) for including crypto stuff in the kernel?
As time goes on this will be more and more needed, eg. for IPSec
and other VPN applications.

It would be nice if we had a /usr/src/sys/crypt directory, plus whatever
export-controlled firewalling silliness is necessary.

Proposal.. (to get things started)

  - Add /usr/src/sys/crypt directory
  - Put exportable crypto stuff in it, eg, md5.c.
  - Put non-exportable crypto stuff in the international repository
    (which is where?) .. and possibly a separate US repository (?)
    (Or can the CVSup mirrors be configured not to mirror it?)

My ulterior motive is to checkin netgrapph/ng_mppc.c which adds
MPPE/MPPC support for PPTP.  However it's useless without an [A]RC4
implementation.

-Archie