Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 16:52:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.com>
Subject:   Re: Can I / Should I upgrade just the kernel from 2.1.5 to 2.2 ?

On Thu, 16 Jan 1997, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	So now the question, I started down the road of upgrading. I booted the
> 	floppy, and eventually I was presented with a bewildering set of
> 	choices on what packages I wanted to upgrade. I have a slow net
> 	connection *28.8( and I would like to wait for the CD to come out to do
> 	as much as possible. So just what do I need to upgrade to work corectly?

Skip the packages.  You can't install them without the CD.  Just use
'pkg_add' like you always have.

Upgrade instructions follow:

FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist:

1)  BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC, BACKUP /ETC.  IT __WILL__ BE MODIFIED!!!

2)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally and any you wish to add.

3)  Hit 'commit'.  Take note of the modified files.

4)  WHen you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	.  Copy services back from your backup /etc.  It's three lines
 	   long now :(

	.  Edit sysconfig and re-config from scratch using your old one as
	   a guide.

	.  Migrate any changes you made to rc.local and other files noted
           during the upgrade process.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.