Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      P Kern <pkern@utcs.utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/28738: IPFW log messages causes syslogd to fsync.

The following reply was made to PR bin/28738; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: P Kern <pkern@utcs.utoronto.ca>
To: dima@unixfreak.org
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, pkern@utcs.utoronto.ca
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 14:15:21 -0400

 >From unixfreak.org!dima Thu Jul  5 21:13:29 2001
 >
 > pkern@utcs.utoronto.ca writes:
 > >
 > > 	syslogd is set to fsync after each klog message.
 > > 	This results in a lot of disk activity if IPFW is being used
 > > 	with verbose logging enabled -- an fsync for each IPFW syslog
 > > 	(and there could be more than one IPFW log message per packet).
 > > 	But IPFW syslogs use the LOG_SECURITY facility so it's possible
 > > 	to exempt those messages from being fsync'ed each time.
 >
 > But it may not be the only one using LOG_SECURITY.

 Hi.  I made sure to check the kernel sources before trying this change.
 In 4.3-RELEASE, IPFW messages are the only ones using LOG_SECURITY.
 So this change would only affect how syslogd behaves when it receives
 IPFW messages from the kernel.

 > And if it is now, can you say that for N months in the future?

 Hmmm, I'm guessing this implies that new code should include comments.
 Sorry about that.  Here's an updated patch.  Hope this helps.  pk.

 	--- syslogd.c	2001/06/12 08:25:31	1.1
 	+++ syslogd.c	2001/07/06 22:01:36
 	@@ -712,6 +712,11 @@
 				++p;
 			if ((pri & LOG_FACMASK) == LOG_CONSOLE)
 				flags |= IGN_CONS;
 	+
 	+		/* don't fsync for IPFW messages. */
 	+		if ((pri & LOG_FACMASK) == LOG_SECURITY)
 	+			flags &= ~SYNC_FILE;
 	+
 		} else {
 			/* kernel printf's come out on console */
 			flags |= IGN_CONS;