Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 08:27:46 -0500
From:      Jason Vervlied <jvervlied@boca.verio.net>
To:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Errors with kde-2.2.1

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 08:09 am, Alan E wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 November 2001 07:57, you wrote:
> > Whenever I launch an app in kde-2.2.1 from a shell, I recieve the
> > following error messages printed to my console
> >
> > libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.12
> > libpng warning: Application  is running with png.c from libpng-1.2.0
> >
> > Also,  any apps I run, such as kmail have no graphics attached to them.
> > When I built kde-2.2.1, I had libpng-1.0.12 and /usr/local/include/png.h
> > is from version 1.2.0
> >
> > Has anyone encountered this error, and if so does anyone know how to
> > correct it. KDE is completly unusable at this point because of this.
>
> Yes, this is apparently a FAQ, and not as OS specific one. The errors are
> the clues: mismatched header and code for the png libraries. How?
>
> You've got 2 versions of PNG installed. You should have only 1 version of
> PNG on your system. Corollary is that all other packages installed must be
> linked against that same version of PNG. This happens when some packages
> are updated that use libpng and others are not. It seems that it must be an
> all or nothing upgrade.
>
> Look on the mailing list archives from about a week ago (search for libpng)
> and you'll find the previous discussion; it provides more detail.
>
> FWIW:
> KDE and Qt should be able to use their own private version of libpng if
> desired. However, their make technology does not support that at the
> moment. I investigated this a while back on RH Rawhide and decided I didn't
> want to start mucking around in the kde*/admin directories: it affects all
> of KDE, and I felt the risk/reward ratio was too high.

Actually I had already done that, and all that pkg_info | grep png returns is

[jvervlied@squeaky lib]$ pkg_info | grep png
linux-png-1.0.3_1   RPM of png lib
png-1.2.0           Library for manipulating PNG images

and

ls -la /usr/local/lib | grep png shows the following

-r--r--r--   1 root     wheel      164554 Nov  7 07:52 libpng.a
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root     wheel          11 Nov  7 07:52 libpng.so ->libpng.so.5
-r--r--r--   1 root     wheel      137942 Aug 13 02:28 libpng.so.4
-r--r--r--   1 root     wheel      148316 Nov  7 07:52 libpng.so.5

I assume that this means that my system is only using 1.2.0 rather than 1.0.12

--
Jason Vervlied
NCC Technician