Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:35:28 +0200
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        Michael Chin-yuan Wu <mwu@ece.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, groggy@lemis.com, msmith@freebsd.org, marcel@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "FreeBSD Internals" chapter in handbook

As Michael Chin-yuan Wu wrote:

[Re: section 23.2 ``PC Memory Utilization'' in the handbook]

> 1. Remove the memory access section and rewrite it.
>    Hopefully, Mr. Wunsch or some other willing and able
>    person will write it/send it to me.  And I will rewrite
>    the article into a form that is easier to read.

My part was merely an explanation how the old bootstrap was loading.
Yes, it's completely outdated now and should be dropped.

Unfortunately, i don't have the slightest clues how the current boot
loader is working (except that i know it loads a Forth interpreter as
its third stage), perhaps the initial two stages still work the same
way and only their source code has been restructured, perhaps they
work entirely differently.  I see the names of Mike Smith and Marcel
Moolenaar quite often in the initial commits of the new bootstrap
code, perhaps one of them could volunteer to contribute for a rewrite
of that part.

Speaking of boot code: i've already seen it in Usenet a number of
times, and had to help out a colleague today with his new computer, a
lot of newer machines seem to fail the assumption that the BIOS sets
the `enhanced keyboad' flags, thus they continue to boot on the serial
console...  [Please don't followup about this to the Cc list, but take
it to the proper list instead.]

--
cheers, J"org  /  73 de DL8DTL