Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:49:55 +0100
From:      Pierre DAVID <Pierre.David@crc.u-strasbg.fr>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NEWCARD & xl0: watchdog timeout

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 05:52:27PM -0500, Will Andrews wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 10:19:24PM +0100, Pierre DAVID wrote:
> > I just upgraded my Dell Latitude LT from 4.2-RELEASE TO
> > -current (just before 9h Feb): all is working perfectly
> > with a GENERIC kernel, pccardd and a 3Com 3C589 Ethernet
> > card.
>
> I hope you are aware that -CURRENT is experimental and at
> times can be extremely unstable.

Many thanks for your attention. I am a regular -current
user from at least 4 years, and I know what -current means.

> Also, NEWCARD is really
> not supposed to be used unless you are planning on working
> on it.

If nobody is using NEWCARD because of such warning, I wonder
when NEWCARD will be functionnal for joe user. Be aware that
I already tried the same NEWCARD kernel from a Sony Vaio and
another Dell.

> >     - with the 3Com 3C589, I cannot get anything from
> > 	the network (ECHO packets are emitted, but
> > 	nothing returns)
>
> Hmm, that's odd.

More precisely, ECHO packets are emitted from the NEWCARD
machine, ECHO reply are transmitted by the pinged host, but
nothing is received by the NEWCARD machine, which is typical
of an IRQ problem.

> >     - with a 3Com 3CCFE575BT-D (xl0) - which works like
> > 	a charm with a Sony Vaio - I get lot of:
> > 	    xl0: watchdog timeout
> > 	and all communications are sloooooow.
>
> I smell an IRQ conflict.

Many thanks for your helpful diagnostic ;-)

Pierre