Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 23:42:51 +0000
From:      Angus MacGyver <macgyver@calibre-solutions.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.3 FTP install

Hi,

I am having one major issue on the install of 5.3 on an Alpha164SX.

I downloaded the miniinst iso image, burnt all ok, and installed vai FTP
(master site) ok.
(used master site as the UK sites were giving me problems with not
having the files for 5.3-RELEASE)

HOWEVER.
When I try to install pre-packaged files (for example, i want to install
cvs-without-gui, and don't want to have to spend and disk space with
everything that compiling this package would require) i get an error
message as follows..

Unable to get packages/INDEX file from selected media. This may be
because the packages collection is not available on the distribution
media you've chosen, most likely an FTP site without the packages
collection mirrored. Please verify that your media, or your path to the
media, is correct and try again.

This happens no matter which FTP site i try.

I saw this as a problem in the x86 tree, but that was a problem with the
FTP site...

Anyone give me a hand with 5.3 for AXP in the same way ?

Cheers

AM